Scarce Chaser - a belated post to cover my sighting of a male along the Glyme at Bladon where it leaves Blenheim. I had considered this species a possibility along this stretch of the river as it's slow moving with plenty of dense vegetation, and I was actively looking on this visit. The image below has had a fair amount of scrutiny now and Steve asked Adrian Parr to have a look and he was unequivocal that it was one, therefore confirming the general consensus. The blue cast to the eyes and black frons are quite distinct and clearly dissimilar to the skimmer next to it. The dark bases to the hind wings are just about visible and the additional observation made by Adrian was that these follow the vein on the wing. This would suggest those black marks aren't its legs. He also made the point he'd never seen one sit in a knees out pose so further indication those marks are on its wings. I've had another couple of looks in the same area since but not seen any more. I will be minded to look earlier in the year next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment